Monday, August 15, 2011

New Ties and New Tries



Today marks day ONE of my new challenge duo. I decided that I would embark on the Sseko Designs 30 Ways in 30 Days Tie Challenge, and also cook up some new culinary skills by cooking one new recipe per week day (weekends reserved for easy stuff and going out). I will be blogging about the new ties and new tries this month!
This new challenge duo was inspired by my intense need for a new hobby. Although I am not entirely sure this will be it, I am giving it a try. Also, I was starting to get rather bored of the same food rotated for dinners, I have decided that I will try some new things. I even bought a new recipe book, and have all of my mom's recipes on hand if we get in the mood for some of what I call comfort food (anything from my mom's kitchen).

So... the adventure begins...
Day One- 8/15
I am going to have to get creative with what I do in the afternoons because I work in the morning at a restaurant and I can't (nor do I want to) wear my Sseko's there! So this afternoon I ventured to the Commissary (grocery store on base) to pick up some much needed SWEET TEA, and other things for dinner! My Sseko's were the perfect thing to wear- comfy and cool- since it was 108. My Sseko's were tied with the Bohannon's Best Tie today.


The recipe I chose was out of a Better Homes and Gardens cookbook filled with 20, 30, and 40 minute recipes. I picked out Tapenade Burgers- but could not find olive tapenade in the store so I improvised/changed the recipe!

Sun Dried Tomato Burgers
-Hamburger meat (enough for two patties, we buy a large package, split it up into balls, and freeze for ease)
-1/4 cup sun dried tomato in olive oil
- large pinch black pepper
-1 clove garlic, minced
-2 slices roasted red pepper
-2 slices mozzarella cheese
-hamburger buns

Pulse sun dried tomatoes, pepper, and garlic in food processor. Add mix to meat and blend in. Cook burgers (we use a George Forman Grill) 8-10 minutes, then place cheese and red pepper on top of the hamburger and place under a broiler to melt the cheese (we use our toaster oven). Serve on buns. Add any toppings you like- we added Italian dressing, but it would have been fine without it.










Adios!!


1 comment:

junglej said...

love it Hales, keep it goin'!
luv